Few sounds are more satisfying than that of a spoon breaking through the crackly caramelized surface of a perfectly prepared crème brûleé. Follow these step-by-step instructions to prepare a tasty crispy topping.
- Keep the crème brûleé chilled in the refrigerator prior to torching.
- The secret to a perfect topping is to distribute the sugar evenly around the surface.
- Avoid putting too much sugar on top or you’ll get a surface that is too hard and thick.
- Serve immediately after caramelizing or the crust will become soft.
- Read our General Safety Precautions before starting your project.
- Read the instructions that come with your torch before beginning your dish.
- Always store fuel in an upright position after completing your project.
- Remove the crème brûleé from the refrigerator and place it on a fire-proof surface.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar over the entire surface of the crème brûleé. Gently shake the container side to side to spread the sugar evenly.
- Light your Bernzomatic torch in a safe direction pointed away from food items. Point the torch straight down, two to three inches above the surface of the sugar. Using a slow sweeping motion, focus on the edges first, then move the torch in a circular motion across the center.
- When the sugar starts to bubble, carefully pick up the container with the tongs and rotate it while applying the torch with the other hand. The sugar will flow into a glossy brown, bubbling shell.